A Green Project Challenge

The intent of this project is to see if being more green is viable given the cost of materials vs. the Return On Investment (ROI) for operating my own greenhouse aquaponics/aeroponics system in our backyard. The challenge is whether I can design, build and operate an aquaponics/aeroponics based greenhouse system in a sustainable manner with a small carbon footprint while providing food for the table at a reasonable cost over conventional methods such as purchasing fish/vegetables at the local grocery. Join me on this journey of discovery while I forge a new chapter in my quest for a better tomorrow.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Finishing up on the Greenhouse

Well, I have made great progress on the greenhouse, it has been painted up, the roof and window panels are installed, along with a ridge vent.  I have two windows that open for more air flow during those "hot" times, with screening to keep the bugs at bay...it was a chore, but well worth the effort. Here are some pics....







 I still have to place the storm door which was graciously donated by my neighbor "Skip" whom I wish to thank. After which I will be placing the substrate for the flooring which will consist of sand/gravel and paver stones, and due to the excessive heat buildup I will be placing a gable mounted solar powered attic fan in one end of the building with possibly a "Swamp cooler" in the other once I run the electric and water to the building....more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment