A Green Project Challenge

The intent of this project is to see if being more green is viable given the cost of materials vs. the Return On Investment (ROI) for operating my own greenhouse aquaponics/aeroponics system in our backyard. The challenge is whether I can design, build and operate an aquaponics/aeroponics based greenhouse system in a sustainable manner with a small carbon footprint while providing food for the table at a reasonable cost over conventional methods such as purchasing fish/vegetables at the local grocery. Join me on this journey of discovery while I forge a new chapter in my quest for a better tomorrow.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

IBC Tote tanks... continued

Alright, I have placed the last two tote tanks and configured them like the ones in the previous post without any issues. After measuring the standpipes  and bell housing, I had to cut them down by 1-1/2" to get the water level down to 10" in the growbeds which would allow for 12" deep grow media. I also added some drain holes to the outside perf pipe and covered them with fiberglass screening to allow for better water penetration into the siphon, without this I would get a premature siphon break half way through the cycle with substrate in place. Next, I ordered two 950 GPH magnetic drive pumps from a seller on eBay at a huge discount. I basically picked both units up for the price of one. These have been installed and a working as planned.


I also ordered a commercial air pump for use in the tanks with a 6 way control valve assembly and four 18" air stones. This unit puts out 45Liters per Hour which is more than enough for the 1100 Gallons of water I have in the fish tanks. It took about 30ft of 1/8" tubing extended to all tanks to get this in place.

 I also built a small shelf to house the unit and valve assembly. I had to bolt the air pump down to the shelf so it didn't vibrate around and fall off.

I have added 20 feeder gold fish to the tanks (5 for each tank) to start the nitrogen cycle process. I have had a few die off due to stress so I will be adding more as time permits.




Next it's on to the growbed media.....

No comments:

Post a Comment