A Green Project Challenge

The intent of this project is to see if being more green is viable given the cost of materials vs. the Return On Investment (ROI) for operating my own greenhouse aquaponics/aeroponics system in our backyard. The challenge is whether I can design, build and operate an aquaponics/aeroponics based greenhouse system in a sustainable manner with a small carbon footprint while providing food for the table at a reasonable cost over conventional methods such as purchasing fish/vegetables at the local grocery. Join me on this journey of discovery while I forge a new chapter in my quest for a better tomorrow.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Worm & Black Soldier Fly larvae beds

I picked up two 32 gal black totes from Lowe's the other day and I am temporarily using one for a worm bed and the other for a BSF larvae bed. I drilled a few 1/2" holes in the top and sides for air circulation on both totes. I stocked one with 2000 red wiggler worms and the other was self populated by Black Soldier Flys after composting our left over table and veggie scraps. I still have to design something, so the BSF larvae will self harvest, more to follow on that as I come up with a game plan.





I am in the process of building a larger, more structurally sound worm bed out of donated wooden pallets. More details and photos to follow.

2 comments:

  1. are you placing the BSF bin above the worm bin? does it allow for auto flow-through? Cool idea... I have a project I'm getting ready to start with pallets that incorporates the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the process of redesigning my BSF fly container...the current unit does not work as expected...more to follow...stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete