A Green Project Challenge

The intent of this project is to see if being more green is viable given the cost of materials vs. the Return On Investment (ROI) for operating my own greenhouse aquaponics/aeroponics system in our backyard. The challenge is whether I can design, build and operate an aquaponics/aeroponics based greenhouse system in a sustainable manner with a small carbon footprint while providing food for the table at a reasonable cost over conventional methods such as purchasing fish/vegetables at the local grocery. Join me on this journey of discovery while I forge a new chapter in my quest for a better tomorrow.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Adding Mozambique Tilapia to the Fish Tanks

I finally have some Mozambique Tilapia in the fish tanks. I made the journey to Overton Fisheries south of Corsicana, a three hour drive one way to pick up about 50 fish. Overton's has a pretty nice operation with quick friendly service. They had me in and out in about 30 minutes.Overton's was out of fingerlings so I had to go with the normal stocking mixed sex/ mixed size offering at $10 per LB....it was a much better choice than fingerlings, and for about the same price, I received much larger fish.



The fish were packed in a large bag/box with some fishy valium and oxygen to keep the Tilapia calm for the trip home.

Once back at the greenhouse I had to move all of my gold fish out of three of the tanks and into a single tank, which took me a couple of hours..it's hard catching 75 gold fish...I now have about 100 in one tank.

Before doing this I opened the box to check on the fish and placed an air stone in the box to aerate the water. I also, checked the PH and Ammonia of the fish box water, the PH was 7.2 and the Ammonia was a whopping 8.8ppm, versus my own tanks levels. I thought the fish were going to be goners...but they are tuff. I started adding water from my fish tanks over the next three hours to help equalize the PH and cut the Ammonia down, after which I introduced the new fish to their tanks. I graded these into three sizes, small, medium and large and placed each size in their own tanks.



Here is a video overview of the Tilapia in their new homes.






I also picked up a 50# bag of Cargill Aquafeed for the little beasties, that should last me several months. I plan on going back in June for more fish and will pick up another bag of feed if the fish do well on it.


 Until next time....keep on farming those fish and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment