A Green Project Challenge

The intent of this project is to see if being more green is viable given the cost of materials vs. the Return On Investment (ROI) for operating my own greenhouse aquaponics/aeroponics system in our backyard. The challenge is whether I can design, build and operate an aquaponics/aeroponics based greenhouse system in a sustainable manner with a small carbon footprint while providing food for the table at a reasonable cost over conventional methods such as purchasing fish/vegetables at the local grocery. Join me on this journey of discovery while I forge a new chapter in my quest for a better tomorrow.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Insulation for the Fish Tanks

Sorry everyone for not posting lately, too many projects going on and with the daily grind of  "normal life" I haven't had much time to pursue my Aquaponics dream. Anyway, I decided to insulate the tops and bottoms of the fish tanks with 1" extruded polystyrene foam board that I picked up from Home Depot. I purchased four 4' x 8' sheets along with a couple of cans of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to glue all the foam board up with. It was a challenge since I had to piece everything together on the top of the tanks due to the fact that I couldn't move the grow beds. Each individual piece had to be measured and cut to fit as no two pieces were the same. Time to complete 2-1/2 days. It was worth it and has cut down on the evaporative water loss from the fish tanks, which in turn has cut down on the humidity in the greenhouse. Oh..and did I mention the cost saving on electric to heat the water.  It dropped my bill by about 30%, almost to it's typical winter norm. And the cost for all of this was about $60 dollars. This is one of those " I wish I had done this sooner or first" situations. Hey, it's a learning experience...right? Oh well, I will know better in the future.  Of course, I am a little late on planting for seedlings, but that's for the next post. Until next time....




No comments:

Post a Comment